Real friends don’t let each other use the wrong power supply units. So today we are here to talk about Corsair RM vs RMX, a comparison between the two best PSUs that you will come across in the market.
- Seasonic manufactures Corsair PSUs. It is one of the most leading companies in the world trusted with this task.
Corsair became all the more relevant as more and more users have now realized the importance of a well-built, decent power supply unit. Power spikes have become common leading to irreversible damage to CPUs and other gadgets.
In this article, we will talk about Corsair power supplies, RM series and RMX series that can help you on days when there are sudden power fluctuations.
RM and RMX series are both a collection of affordable power supply units, with RM being more budget-friendly and RMX providing a wider range of units to choose from. Luckily, they both allow for noise-free operation, with necessary protective features against power surge, drop, over-heating, short-circuiting, etc.
The quality of the cooling fan and capacitors do vary between the models of the two series but as we take a look into their features, you would realize that both are quite capable of delivering reliable performance.
First, we will talk about the major differences between Corsair RM vs RMX. Then we will move forward to discussing their advantages, disadvantages, features, and customer reviews. Towards the end of the article, we have come up with a verdict that may help you choose the right PSU for your use.
Corsair RM vs RMX – Quick Overview:
A closer look at Corsair RM vs RMX would reveal that the basic difference is between the price tags of the two products and some features that have been altered to meet the worth of cost.
For example, RM models are equipped with capacitors that are of slightly lower quality. This was done to meet the cost demands of many buyers who could not afford the high-end Corsair power supply series.
Additionally, the Japanese Nichicon and bullet-proof NR135L spinning fan of RMX series was also replaced by alternatives that were more affordable. In the case of RM series, the spots were taken by Hong-hua fan and Chinese Elite caps.
- So is RM even worth the buy?
Surprisingly RM series does carry a number of advantages over the RMX models. One of the most obvious perks is that it supports Modern Standby Mode in Windows 10. The PSUs missing on this technology normally take more than 15 seconds to turn on the PC.
RM models with their in-built Modern Standby Mode only require 5 seconds to turn on the PC that was in S3 sleep mode.
Another difference is that in-cable caps for better ripple suppression that were found in RMX models have been taken out deliberately in the case of RM series. The research and development head at Corsair himself proclaimed that the difference was not much with or without the cap.
These were some of the basic differences that would easily spot between the RMX and RM series. Now we shall explore the two series separately considering all their pros, cons, and main features that make them worth the price tag. Let’s have a look!
Corsair RM750 Fully Modular Power Supply:
|Brand: Corsair||Model Number: CP-9020195-NA|
|Product Weight: 3.75 pounds||Product Dimensions: 6.3 x 5.91 x 3.39 inches|
|Color: 80PLUS Gold||Size: 750 Watt|
The main aim of the RM series was to deliver the same power but to more budget-restricted customers. In order to make up for the lower cost, RM contains slight low-quality capacitors and that is the main difference between RMX and RM Corsair Power supply units.
RM series contain Chinese Elite caps and Hong-hua fans that utilize rifle bearing much like the competitive RMX models.
Surprisingly, RM models do much better under ultra-light models. Furthermore, they support the latest Standby mode in Windows 10 to ensure that your PC comes to action in less than 5 seconds!
RM750 contains 2 EPS and 6 PCI connectors eliminating the need of you running to the market for any additional connector. The in-cable caps have also been removed.
This model is also manufactured to keep the noise pollution low with a 140 mm rifle bearing fan. The curves of the fan have been keenly designed to ensure that noise levels are kept at a minimum with no compromise on the performance or reliability of the product.
Lastly, RM750 has fully modular cables so you can use only the ones that are necessary. This makes room for easy and quick installation and more convenient cable management. Furthermore, the PSU comes with a cable bag so you can store away the extra cables if they are not needed without the worry of losing them with other wires lying around the house.
Now let’s check out some of the special features that RM750 has in stock for us.
Multiple Features of Corsair RM750 Fully Modular Power Supply:
Free of Noise Pollution
- The model is also manufactured to keep noise pollution as low as possible.
- It hosts a 140 mm rifle bearing fan.
- The curves of the fan have been keenly designed to ensure that noise level are kept at a minimum.
- The manufacturers have also ensured that there was no compromise on the performance or reliability of the product.
0 RPM Fan Mode
- RM750 hosts Hong-hua fan.
- The fan does not start its operation until needed.
- That is the reason you enjoy nearly-silent mode with this technology especially when you are working with medium loads.
Fully Modular Cables
- RM750 has fully modular cables so you can use only the ones that are necessary.
- This makes room for easy and quick installation and more convenient cable management.
- Furthermore, the PSU comes with a cable bag so you can store away the extra cables if they are not needed.
Supports StandyBy Mode
- They support the latest Standby mode in Windows 10.
- This ensures that your PC comes to action in less than 5 seconds!
- The PSUs missing on this technology normally take more than 15 seconds to turn on the PC.
- RM models with their in-built Modern Standby Mode only require 5 seconds to turn on the PC that was in S3 sleep mode.
Made More Affordable
- The main aim of the RM series was to deliver the same power but to more budget-restricted customers.
- In order to make up for the lower cost, RM contains slight low-quality capacitors.
- RM series contain Chinese Elite caps and Hong-hua fans that utilize rifle bearing much like the competitive RMX models.
Corsair RMX Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply:
|Brand: Corsair||Model Number: CP-9020179-NA|
|Product Weight: 3.65 pounds||Product Dimensions: 6.3 x 5.91 x 3.39 inches|
|Color: 80PLUS Gold||Size: 750 Watt|
Corsair introduced RMX power supply series in 2015. This successfully replaced RM with a number of additions and improvements.
The 135 mm rifle bearing was retained along with the Zero RPM mode that allowed the action of the fine to be as quiet as possible. Other than that, almost everything was upgraded in one way or another.
With capacitors rated at 105-degrees, Corsair RMX can perform at full low at comparatively high temperatures without any malfunction. Consequently, the manufacturers could reflect the improved life of the gadget by offering 7 years of warranty instead of 5 as with the previous model.
Furthermore, RMX series offers the users flexibility of choosing from an expanded line. It now includes lower wattage of 550 W and others of 650 W, 750 W, 850 W, and 1000 W.
Users working with RM series for years would have realized the trouble that came with bulky dongle and the inefficiency of Link software. Keeping that in view, Corsair has now removed Link completely.
RMX cable set is composed of Type 4 cables. In addition to the Type 3 cables, this power series has additional 4 pins and capacitors. This alteration is quite helpful in keeping the voltage under check. Consequently, you can adjust it to regulate the load as per your need.
Corsair is suitable for all high-performance CPUs with its +12 V rail that is the basic power requirement for them as well as the latest graphic cards. Finally, you are in safer hands while using RMX series since all its products have the necessary protective features.
Multiple Features of Corsair RMX:
Up-to-date Protective Features
- You are in safer hands while using the RMX series since all its products have the necessary protective features.
- Over Current Protection shuts off power when a rail is overloaded.
- Over and Under Voltage protection keeps a check on the reading and shuts power if there is an extreme fluctuation.
- Short Circuit Protection protects the products in case there is a short circuit.
- Over Temperature Protection shuts it off if the temperature shoots or drops below a specified value.
Improved Cable Set
- RMX power series contain the latest Type 4 cables.
- It has 6-pin cables for peripheral power and SATA use.
- Furthermore, it is equipped with Type 3 cables for use with Hxi and RM.
- 8-pin cables now come with additional capacitors.
- In addition to the Type 3 cables, this power series has additional 4 pins and capacitors
Quiet In Operation
- RMX comes with a smart fan controller.
- The fan only begins the operation with the power supply unit reaches a specific value.
- For example, these PSUs come with a fan that is only activated when they reach a 40% load.
- Size is very important to a number of buyers out there.
- RMX series comes with a 160 mm casing.
- This size luckily fits in all the modern PCs.
Resistant To Higher Temperatures
- With capacitors rated at 105-degrees, Corsair RMX can perform at full low at comparatively high temperatures without any malfunction.
- Consequently, these PSUs have a longer warranty time as compared to previous series.
Better Build Than Other Series
- Customers typically love the RMX series due to its least noise-pollutions levels.
- They also come with 100% Japanese capacitors that are more reliable than the Chinese counterparts.
- RMX series is affordable even with the technology of higher models.
Corsair RM vs RMX – Final Verdict
Now we come down to our final verdict for the blog.
As we have discussed before RM and RMX series most evidently differ in their price tags with the latter being a bit more expensive. However, the improvements that the manufacturers have introduces surely make the RMX series worth every penny.
If you are in need of a PSU but within an affordable budget then the RM series would not disappoint you at all. It hosts all the necessary features to make your experience smooth and trouble-free.
Let us know which PSU you are most comfortable using. Looking forward to your feedback in the comment section below!